Shrimp Salad with Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette
Recipe and photos courtesy of Katie McCurdy, Sous Chef of Bloch Cafe, Wexner Medical Center, Ohio State University*
Celebrate spring with a fresh, entrée-worthy salad. This one features protein-rich shrimp, colorful corn and cherry tomatoes and a zesty sundried tomato vinaigrette. Roasting the veggies with olive oil first adds a nice flavor and actually increases your body’s ability to absorb the cancer-fighting lycopene compound.
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (no-salt added)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 8 oz. shrimp (thawed, tails trimmed)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp. chopped sundried tomato
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium avocado
Salad (makes 2 servings):
Per Serving: 310 calories, 17 g fat (2.5 g. saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein, 11 g dietary fiber, 670 mg sodium.
Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette (makes 3 servings):
Per Serving: 170 calories, 18 g fat (2.5 g. saturated fat), 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g protein, 0 g dietary fiber, 35 mg sodium.
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On sheet pan place corn and halved tomatoes and toss with 2 teaspoons oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper (you can also add some granulated garlic for more flavor.) Roast about 10-15 minutes or until tomatoes begin to tighten up.
- Chop lettuce to desired leaf size.
- In sauté pan add 1 teaspoon oil and heat to medium high.
- Add shrimp to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Once shrimp has tightened up and turned pink (approximately 4 minutes.) Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, sundried tomato and garlic. When well mixed, slowly add the oil in a small stream; the dressing should bind together and look uniform throughout with no separating of oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice avocado in half and remove pit. Cut slices while still in the skin and scoop out with a spoon.
- Arrange lettuce on plate or bowl and top with roasted tomato and corn and avocade. Drizzle with vinaigrette and top with shrimp.