Date, Walnut and Dark Chocolate Cookies (Vegan)
By Sharon Palmer
Sponsored by Natural Delights Medjool Dates
This recipe borrows the natural sweetness of Medjool dates, along with the rich flavors of walnuts and dark chocolate, to craft a delicious, healthy version of this classic cookie. Enjoy this sweet treat with your loved ones on Valentine’s Day, pack them into a lunch box any day, or serve them with fresh fruit or sorbet the next time you host dinner guests.
- 1/2 cup soft dairy-free margarine spread, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. egg replacer**
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced, pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or broken dark chocolate pieces
Makes 20 cookies.
Per Cookie: 122 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g. saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 82 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Mix together margarine, vanilla, and honey in a small bowl.
- Combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and egg replacer in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture and mix well to form a crumbly dough.
- Stir in the walnuts, dates, and chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls and place about 3 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
*Note: These cookies store very well in an airtight container in the freezer.
**Note: Vegan egg replacers can be found in powdered form. Examples include Ener-G, VeganEgg, Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
About the Author
Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian™, is an award-winning food and nutrition expert, journalist, and editor.
*Sponsors of the Health-e-Recipe program play no role in AICR recipe development; all AICR Health-e-Recipes are developed according to AICR guidelines and tested by AICR staff experts. If you’re interested in becoming a corporate sponsor, contact Jodi Street, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations,email@example.com.
Photo credit: by Sharon Palmer.
Originally published on AICR.org and republished with permission.