||Last Updated: Apr 20, 2011 - 9:38:09 AM
SATURDAY June 7, 2008 (foodconsumer.org) -- A ten-year-old boy named Johnny Jackson from South Carolina died at home on Sunday an hour or so after swimming at a local pool and walking home with his mother, news media reported.
There is no reporting exactly how the boy died. But from what the boy's mother Cassandra Jackson told NBC News, it seems that Johnny got some water in his lungs while swimming in his local pool at Goose Greek, South Carolina.
Ms. Jackson told the TODAY Show on Thursday that "I've never known a child could walk around, talk, speak and their lungs be filled with water."
Johnny did not exhibit any signs of trouble except that after going home, when Johnny's mother bathed him, he told his mom he felt sleepy. When his mother went to check on him later, his face was covered with some strange "spongy white material". He was rushed to hospital and died.
Dr. Daniel Rauch, pediatrician from New York University Langone Medical Center, who also showed up on the TPODAY show, said, cited by Medical News Today, that there are three signs to notice in a child who is at risk of water entering the respiratory system, namely difficulty breathing, extreme tiredness, and changes in behavior.
Children with these systems should be rushed to hospital quickly. Johnny got two signs: tiredness and changes in behavior.
© 2004-2008 by foodconsumer.org unless otherwise specified
Top of Page
Search Consumer-friendly Health Sites